Friday 6 October 2017

Radinac to Požarevac on E4: Day 18

The first part of the day was a good walk through hilly country, the second half was along roads across the flat plain of the Veliki Morava river.
It was raining when I went down for breakfast and while it stopped before I set off, the day was overcast with intermittent showers. The centre of the suburb of Radinac seemed to be a haphazard collection of stalls and outlets, fast food joints selling hamburgers and gyros, pekaras and drugstores and a lady selling homemade raki in an assortment of bottles enjoying a new life. Vehicles were parked at odd angles trying avoid the broken drainage covers.
I soon left it behind climbing through houses of various types. One with washing hanging on a balcony with Classical Greek columns caught my eye. Then it was into low trees, vineyards, fields of stubble, orchards and ploughed earth. The leaves on the trees were beginning to change to yellow. My route took me through a few villages, I stopped at one for a coffee and chocolate filled croissant while the owner's young child looked at me like I was an alien (and she was not the first in my travels to do so, and they were not all children).
I came across a cemetery that at first sight was overgrown, but it became apparent that families keep their own section of graves neat while the surrounding areas became hidden by shrubs. As I was looking at red fox crossed between graves. I passed under a motorway and after walking through some hills crossed a bridge over the same motorway at which point I returned to the flat plain of the river Veliki Morava which I had also walked across yesterday.
The next section was on a little used road to the village of Osipaonica. It was not so nice being lined with rubbish dumped on both sides, everything from disposable nappies to builders debris, from old bras to old batteries. There was not much of note in Osipaonica (although some villas, over decorated with columns and balconies, caught my eye).
The final, long section was on a two lane road with low trees each side, again with areas of rubbish. However, there was an interesting iron, truss bridge across the river Veliki Morava which carried both a single lane road and an electrified railway line that went down the middle of the road. There were barriers and a man in attendance who presumably prevented cars coming onto the bridge when a train was coming. It must have been an important bridge once as there were buildings each end with gun slots, evidently designed to defend the bridge from attack.
I am now installed in the Hotel Feniks in Požarevac and have eaten a lonely dinner in their large dining room. Rain is still pattering on the skylight of my room and more rain is forecast for tomorrow.

Today I covered 41.9 kilometres. A GPS track of my route can be found on wikiloc.com, here and here, on ViewRanger.com as johnpon0024 and johnpon0025 and on Wandermap.com here and here.

Typical farm track and a cloudy sky

Road and rail bridge over Veliki Morava

No comments:

Post a Comment