Saturday 24 March 2018

Kučevo to Vrh Štubej on E4, Day 27

After a long tiring day yesterday I decided on a shorter day, checking out at 10:00 am and stopping to camp at 4:30 pm on the side of the mountain of Vrh Strubej.
I might have been tempted to stay a second night at Hotel Rudnik to rest, but as I had trouble shutting my bedroom door without the help of the waiter I decided against it. Before setting off I made some purchases of food at Kučevo. The town seemed to have a couple of markets selling vegetables, clothes etc.. Some of the stalls were just tables with people's own produce for sale, such as dried chillies, honey and onions.
The first part of my walk was an easy stroll along a road, then I headed off following red and white footpath markers to the village of Ravnište through trees and then passed farms, going up and down hills. At each little settlement dogs barked at me making it clear they felt I was NOT welcome. However the two people I passed were more friendly, one (I think) advising I should have a hat on in the wintery weather.
A little way after the village were the Ravništarka Pećina, pećina meaning caves. They were closed but looked like a nice spot in the summer with a café and chalets. At the caves I saw a sign saying Štubej 3 hours. Although not my intended route it was a footpath marked on my Garmin GPS map so I followed its red and white trail markings.
It took rather longer than 3 hours due to snow drifts, and as I climbed, breaking trail through the snow became increasingly difficult. It was undeniably pretty with snow coated trees and only a few animal tracks marking the unblemished snow.
I camped on some flat ground among trees at 780 m, leaving the 940 m summit of Štubej for tomorrow, taking care to keep my water bottles off the floor of the tent, on my coat, to stop them freezing.

Today I only covered 18.7 kilometres but that included over 900 metres of accumulated ascent through snow. A gpx file of my route can be found on Wikiloc.com, and WanderMap.net. The route can also be downloaded from Viewranger.com as johnpon0027.

The track up Mount Stubej

No comments:

Post a Comment