Tuesday 20 March 2018

Return to Serbia Day 23

I decided to continue my walk along the E4 in Serbia in late March when temperatures should have been pleasant for hiking, but winter was staying late this year. Britain was being frozen by the "Beast from the East", cold winds blowing from Siberia bringing unseasonably cold temperatures and snow to Europe. Cold and snowy weather was forecast for my first few days in Serbia so I was relieved I could see little sign of snow when the plane dropped beneath the clouds on its final approach to Belgrade, although some evidence of flooding was a concern.
Having secured a bus ticket for tomorrow from the helpful, English speaking people at the bus station, and confirmed the time and platform from which the bus was to depart I checked into the nearby Belgrade City Hotel. Then it was off to a tourist area of Belgrade to eat. Skadarlija was a street recommended for restaurants in my guidebook that I missed last time although there are plenty of attractive looking cafes, bars and restaurants elsewhere. Despite being a cold evening with scattered flakes of snow trying to fall there were lots of people out and about, although not so many in Skadarlija! I took pity on a lady trying to drum up trade and became the only diner in a place serving Serbian cuisine (a lot of Italian style places around). Food was filling, not expensive and I was serenaded out by a trio playing fiddle, accordion and guitar.
Hoping the weather is not too bad tomorrow for my walk along the Danube.

No comments:

Post a Comment