Monday 16 April 2018

Rtanj to Sokobanja on E4 Day 50

A steep climb up Rtanj mountain through the clouds followed by a long walk down to Sokobanja.
As I ate my fried eggs and a sort of ricotta type cheese for breakfast I peered up at low cloud hiding  higher ground from my sight. Not promising for any scenic views today. Despite the poor outlook for visibility and fortified by what I took to be Rtanj tea with my breakfast I started my day's walk in good cheer. After leaving the village the climb up to the summit of Rtanj mountain fell into three parts: a steep section through small trees and bushes to the top of a reef of limestone; a flattish section, then a second steep section through open grassland to the summit. As I climbed the flora changed from cowslips to flowers like miniature hyacinths that formed pools of blue on the higher slopes, to what looked like purple anenomies near the top. As I climbed above 1000 metres I began to look down from above on the clouds covering lower ground, a sight I always find impressive reminding me of my first time in an aeroplane. Near the top the wind became stronger, cold and gusting, with a good gale blowing at the summit. The ruins of St George's chapel at the top where I sheltered were only visible when I actually reached them. Various oddments had been left in a steel box by previous visitors. Despite it being somewhat misty I could see many distant mountains and valleys filled with cloud.
Descending, the path on my Garmin GPS map no longer seemed to exist so I just headed down the grassy slope trying to avoid the flowers, creating an oregano sort of herby smell as I crushed the vegetation with my boots. A pair of birds flew off startled by my approach. There probably was a better (less ecologically damaging) path if I had retraced my steps a bit further down, as it was I joined up with a tractor path as I reached the bottom of the steepest section.
This led me to a good, waymarked track which I followed to the village of Muzinac. Then it was by road to Sarbanovac and finally by gravel and tarmac roads to Sokobanja. A driver who stopped said there was a path to Sokobanja with better views along the top of the ridge. (Update: probably the one on the gpx trail subsequently published by the Mountaineering Association of Serbia)
By the time I approached the town it was raining. Not bothering with my waterproof over-trousers (a mistake) I hurried to Nataly's B&B for a warm shower, and later (after trying on the white fluffy bathrobe) a dinner of pork, chips and Sopska salad, washed down with the local beer.

30.2 kilometres walked today with a total ascent of 1233 metres. A gpx file of my route can be found on wikiloc.com or can be downloaded from ViewRanger short code johnpon0030.



Anenomies near the summit of Rtnaj

View from Rtanj summit

Track to Sokobanja, looking back at Rtanj

No comments:

Post a Comment